A Win for Scott at Unity!
Unity Raceway - Unity, ME - May 2, 2004
$3,500 TO WIN

1 #84 - Scott Mulkern
2  #10 - Ralph Nason
3  #34 - Jeff Burgess
4  #29 - Scott Chubbuck
5  #75 - Gary Smith

Mulkern Holds Off Nason for Unity Win

By MIKE LANGE - Correspondent

Copyright 2004 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

UNITY -- Scott Mulkern of Falmouth captured what he called his "biggest victory ever" by winning the Maine State Lottery Pro-Stock 104 at Unity Raceway Sunday.

To take the checkered flag, however, Mulkern had to outmaneuver the toughest driver in the field - Ralph Nason - who happens to own the historic central Maine oval.

Nason, who won the pole position and led the first 37 laps, was caught behind the lapped car of Orrington driver Kris Huff when opportunity knocked. Mulkern was running a close second when he saw Nason give Huff a few taps on the rear bumper in an attempt to pass him on the inside lane.

"I went to the high side and managed to get around both of them," said Mulkern, who also won the Unity Raceway opener two years ago. "How often does that happen? To beat Ralph at his own track is something that just doesn't happen very often."

Nason settled for second-place, followed by Jeff Burgess of
Fairfield; 2003 winner, Scott Chubbuck of Wiscasset; and Gary Smith of Bangor.

Nason, who turned 64 in January, said car troubles brought about the setback.

"I've had brake problems all day, even though we changed everything including the master cylinder, so it wasn't the best handling car I've ever had," Nason said. "But I'm happy for Scott. For a while, I thought I'd get more pressure from Jeff (Burgess) because he was running real well."

Burgess challenged Nason early, but said his car developed a push, cutting down his ability to turn smoothly.

"I really had to wait for Ralph and Scott to make a mistake, and they didn't," Burgess said.

Considering the fact that he hadn't finished a race in three months due to accidents and mechanical mishaps, Burgess said he was "delighted" with a third-place trophy behind Mulkern and Nason.

The Maine State Lottery 104 was completed in less than 40 minutes and only halted twice for cautions. The first yellow flag came out when Westbrook driver Tony Ricci slammed into the first-turn embankment on the opening lap. The only other caution was due to a spin by former track champion Dean Fuller of Albion on lap 50, who recovered to finish 15th.



Email FatCow Sales